Thursday, August 28, 2008

Faith instead of Belief

A few weeks ago my mother sent me the link to this essay. You know how it is... I thought I'll get around to it. A week or so went by and I finally found the time (or made the time) to sit down and listen. I was impressed and amazed at the articulate way that Sara Miles shares about the faith that she came to after believing that the church was totally irrelevant.

She understands her work of feeding the hungry through her church food pantry as making space for God, which she symbolizes by distributing the food from the altar. My prayer is that our community is a place where other people can encounter God in the same way she did.


How does she inspire you?

1 comment:

scituatedrev said...

Yes, this was an amazing essay - I actually heard this one close to the time it was released. What was so powerful for me was to hear her speak of the transforming moment at communion, even though she was unfamiliar with its deeper meanings or even the full story behind it. Then, to live out that "communion" more completely through the food pantry in the same space - wow!

Thanks Sara - nice post!