Friday, January 4, 2008

Covenant Prayer - in the Wesleyan Tradition

At the begining of a new year, as a community we have taken on the practice of praying this prayer each day as we seek to follow God more fully.
This is a prayer from our 250 year old tradition started by John and Charles Wesley.

I am no longer my own, but yours.
put me to what you will,
rank me with whom you will;
put me to doing,
put me to suffering;
let me be employed for you
or laid aside for you,
exalted for you or brought low for you;
let me be full,
let me be empty;
let me have all things,
let me have nothing;
I freely and wholeheartedly yield
all things to your pleasure and disposal.

And now, glorious and blessed God,
Father, Son, and Holy Spirit,
you are mine and I am yours.
So be it.
And the Covenant now made on earth,
let it be ratified in heaven.

No comments: