Monday, November 10, 2008

Join the Advent Conspiracy!

This week in LIFE Groups, we're continuing the conversation we started a few weeks ago about Advent Conspiracy. With the Season of Advent just around the corner and Christmas only about six weeks away, now is the time to be making those decisions about how to celebrate Christmas differently, in a way that truly honors Jesus' birth. For starters, how about this...?
  • Worship fully.
  • Spend less.
  • Give more.
  • Love all.

We've issued a challenge: to celebrate Christmas more simply this year by spending less on Christmas gifts for friends and family -- and then to match that amount, dollar for dollar, with a gift to help provide clean, safe, reliable drinking water to people in a developing country. It looks like we're going to help build a well for a school for orphaned children in Uganda... more about that project coming soon.

In addition, we're talking about ways to be in service right here in Portland in the month of December. It's going to be fun, we promise.

So here's our Christmas pledge:

Believing in the true spirit of Christmas, I commit myself to:

  • remember those people who truly need my gifts
  • express my love in more direct ways than gifts
  • examine my holiday activities in the light of my deepest values
  • be a peacemaker within my circle of family and friends
  • rededicate myself to my spiritual growth

Join the Advent Conspiracy!

No comments: