Thursday, September 18, 2008

Light, Jesus, and My Life

As I was reading today's daily scripture reading I came upon this passage about light. I always take a second look when the image of light is used in the Bible...we are called New Light after all.

In the book the Gospel of John, Jesus is talking about his coming death and his time with the disciples before his death. He is the light.

So here are two versions of the passage about light:

John 12 - TNIV

35 Then Jesus told them, "You are going to have the light just a little while longer. Walk while you have the light, before darkness overtakes you. Those who walk in the dark do not know where they are going. 36 Put your trust in the light while you have the light, so that you may become children of light."

John 12 - The Message

35 Jesus said, "For a brief time still, the light is among you. Walk by the light you have so darkness doesn't destroy you. If you walk in darkness, you don't know where you're going. 36 As you have the light, believe in the light. Then the light will be within you, and shining through your lives. You'll be children of light."

I am fascinated by this idea of walking in darkness. Who does that?! We have electric switches in every room so that we never have to walk in darkness, unless we are obsessively energy conserving. I'm not really sure what exactly Jesus means by darkness, somehow it is opposite of Jesus. What darkness looks like might be different for you than for me. I'm still figuring that one out. Any ideas?

But light I think I have a grasp on. Jesus is light. If we believe, or better said trust, in the light (in Jesus) then we have light in us. I have a lot of respect for the Quaker tradition. One of the ways that they speak of praying for someone is "holding in the light." I really like the idea of God's light living in me and shining out to others. When I allow Jesus to have a place in my life, in the center of my life, then the light that brings to me shines on others...at least in my best moments.

What are your ideas about light or darkness and how we as New Light can truly live as light?

No comments: