Sunday, July 13, 2008

For the Beauty of the Earth

I had the good fortune of spending time on Long Pond in Belgrade with my family over the Fourth of July. All together there were 14 of us in a small three bedroom cabin, for five days. While I love my family I found being constantly surrounded by that many other people who always wanted to be doing something a little taxing on my increasingly introverted self. I couldn't get through a shower without an interruption from a family member, and I quickly gave up hope on getting any devotional time in.

Sunday morning I decided to get up early, before the rest of my family and take the kayak out. It was an beautiful morning, the lake was calm and the air was just warming up. I paddled to the middle of the lake, and just sat there for a long long time. It was amazingly peace
ful. After a while I sang whatever praise songs popped into my head, and I had a time of prayer thanking God for the incredible creation that was all around me.

It is my hope that among the busyness of our lives this summer we all take a moment to sit, and just be surrounded by the beauty of the earth, and to thank God for sharing it with
us.

No comments: